Tuesday, April 7, 2015

World Health!

Have you ever sat down and really thought about your overall health? I would say that looking back over my life I have been a semi-healthy person! I do think that I did inherit some of my Grandpa's "skinny gene"...the man was 6 foot  and about 100 lbs! Can we say bean pole! I am going to be real honest and say that I have always loved food! This has been a problem since I was born! Food is a big part of my life, and bottom line is food will always catch up with you, especially if you don't make smart choices!
My thoughts on healthy choices and a healthy lifestyle have really changed since kids have entered the picture! I want to be healthy for them. I want to make good choices for them. I want them to not worry about mom staying sick or not feeling good because I have made bad choices! I think there are ways to have a healthy balance, to have our cake and eat it too :) Here are a few ways that I incorporate healthy choices into our life...

*Walk any chance I can get! When I am looking for a parking spot, I never park at the front, and believe it's not because I have a nice car and don't want to get a ding in my door! No, its a few extra steps I have to take! It's so easy to track your steps now with wearables or even apps. Oscar Insurance, a health insurance company in New York and New Jersey, even gives their members a free Misfit band so they can see how much they're walking everyday! You can find out more information about them here.
Elevator? What is that?? Don't ever use the elevator! Walk those stairs, even if its 3 flights! It's totally worth every step!
Dance party in the living room! YES!! Every chance you can get! Turn on your favorite song and dance like you don't care! You will feel so good!

*Don't drink your  calories!!! I use to be horrible about drinking tons and tons of Sweet Tea (hints the blog title!), but it is amazing how many calories can be saved if you cut out sweet tea and soda! Water, unsweet tea, and an occasional Diet Dr. Pepper are what's going on in my cup!

*Swap Ingredients in Recipes! This is one I do a lot! We are huge ground turkey eaters. I hardly ever buy ground beef unless it is extra lean. I also swap out pasta for spaghetti squash, or whole wheat/gluten free noodles! Swapping out ingredients can really make your favorite recipes so much healthier, and you can afford to have another serving! ;)

*Treat yourself! This is a biggie. I know for us, if we don't treat ourselves then we just fall off the bandwagon and can't get back on. I have found that one small piece of cake, or whatever you like,  every once  in a while is ok, but don't let it become a daily habit!

In honor of World Health Day on April 7th, I am going to challenge myself to make one healthy life style change!
*Everyday that the sun is shining, I am going to get out and jump on the trampoline with Jagger at least for 15 minutes if not more! I think this will be a great way to add in some more exercise and to spend time with my sweet boy! Do you want to take the challenge with me?? Let's get healthy!
Have a blessed day!! Happy World Health!
Lots of love..

2 comments:

  1. Love this and totally agree---my biggie is the "drinking my calories"! Sweet tea is my downfall! But I know if I don't make it I won't drink it---now if I can just get off diet soda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. water, water, water! we need a trampoline but my husband is leary over it since most of his accidents in childhood involved one LOL!

    ReplyDelete